Studying abroad in Nottingham, England for a year, junior Joseph Schifsky
wires to you LIVE his latest cultural and historical experiences as well as his
deepest thoughts and feelings.

Thursday 16 September 2010

The First Flat Trip

Throughout the year, us 13 students will be traveling to various historical points of interest in Britain. Our first trip was last weekend, and we visited the cities of York, Alnwick, and Durham. It was good times.

I took a good amount of photos, but they're too large to post on Blogspot, so I'm linking my Facebook album, which has the various places we visited and descriptions. I'm fairly certain non-Facebook users can't view the album, but I'll try and deal with technology at another time to post some up on the blog.


Hadrian's Wall was one of my favorite stops on our trip, which is a 73 mile-long wall that goes through Northern England. It's a Roman wall, mainly built to show territories. The scenery along it is gorgeous, almost comically featuring every idyllic English countryside thing imaginable: hilly plains, Lord of the Rings-esque forest paths, lakes, grazing sheep, and giggling daughters running through fields as their proud fathers look on from the doorway of their stone house, (that last one may or may not have happened).

Durham Cathedral was another great stop. On our walk there, it began to rain, and rather than get praise from my fellow students for planning ahead and donning a rain coat, I got jokes about how I looked like death or a ring wraith. We came upon the cathedral, which is near a small graveyard, and the choice of what to do was obvious:


No comments:

Post a Comment